Friday, November 5, 2010

Writing thank you notes...

quip thank you cards
Kate Spade Quip Thank You Cards

I thought since I sort of ranted and raved in my earlier post on wedding gift thank you notes that it might be good to offer some more constructive advice.  I have developed a little formula that has proven pretty successful.  (My mom is always so proud when someone tells her they received a nice note from me!).  It is two simple paragraphs, can be used for any type of thank you, and goes something like this:

Dear ____:
Thank you so much for the ____.  It was so thoughtful of you and [add something personal about the item here, such as what you plan to do with it and/or what it means to you... even if you feel a little cheesy writing it, that is ok-- better to seem heartfelt than disinterested].
We had a wonderful time... [In this paragraph, add something about your relationship with the person who gave you the gift- why you were happy to see them at the wedding, see them at the holidays, etc.]  Hope to see you again soon... in the meantime, we will think of you whenever we use the ___!
Fondly,_____


Sure, a basic "thanks for the gift" is better than nothing, but I think this approach makes it a little more personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment